Equity & Inclusion
A Message From Our CEO
As an organization whose mission is dedicated to “eliminating racism and empowering women,” YWCA Oklahoma City strives to provide a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all of our staff and the communities we serve.
We must listen and provide a platform for marginalized communities who have been doing the work long before us. This begins with a firm and unwavering commitment to stand with survivors—all survivors of domestic and sexual violence, regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, nationality, religion, or culture.
We know that conversations on diversity and inclusion without acknowledging the systemic oppression communities of color face would be doing a disservice to not only our staff but our clients as well. Women of color are disproportionately impacted by domestic and sexual violence, and thus, it is our responsibility to:
- Center the voices of those closest to the pain and
- Use our power and privilege to work towards gender and racial justice.
We recognize that to truly demonstrate our commitment to our mission, we must begin at our own organization.
YWCA OKC will:
- Respect and embrace the diverse backgrounds and characteristics of our employees, interns, volunteers, and clients.
- Foster a culture of inclusion by providing ongoing diversity and inclusion trainings for all staff.
- Strive to hire, retain, and attract a workforce and board that reflect the community we serve.
- Continue to have courageous conversations with our staff and clients to ensure each person feels seen, valued, and heard.
|Janet L. Peery
President & CEO
YWCA Oklahoma City