Sexual Assault ServicesYWCA Oklahoma City provides an array of services to help the primary and secondary survivors of sexual assault regain control over their lives. From responding to calls on our 24-hour Sexual Assault Crisis Hotline, to hospital advocacy and follow-up counseling, the YWCA is meeting the needs of hundreds of sexual assault survivors each year.
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual assault please call 405-943-7273, advocates are available 24/7.
Our sexual assault services include:
- Hospital Advocates are available 24/7 to provide emotional support, resources, and crisis services to sexual assault survivors at the hospital, in police stations, and throughout the legal system.
SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner)
- A SANE exam provides expert medical care and resources to patients who have recently experienced sexual assault. This holistic medical exam addresses both emotional and physical trauma while offering medications that prevent sexually transmitted infections and more.
- YWCA Forensic Nurses provide trauma-informed care while documenting injuries and collecting and preserving evidence after sexual assault at the request of the patient. Patients have the ability to release their medical exam to Law Enforcement, if desired.
- YWCA Forensic Exams are provided free of charge.
- Community partner hospitals include Integris Baptist Medical Center, Alliance Health Midwest, and Integris Southwest Medical Center. Our partner hospitals provide private waiting areas, an exam room, and supplies that help ensure patient comfort.
- In order to assess for medical complications after strangulation, YWCA Forensic Nurses provide Strangulation Assessments that include documentation of injury, signs and symptoms, and medical referrals as needed.
- If you or someone you know is in need of a SANE exam, please call the 24 hour hotline at 405-943-7273 for more information and to see what hospital is on rotation prior to ER arrival.
Adult Services (18+)
- The Adult Counseling Program helps adults learn how to cope with sexual assault in a healthy manner.
- Clients are given practical tools to help them stay safe as well as education and resources to help them process their victimization.
- Adults are educated on how to avoid further victimization, verbalize feelings, and learn appropriate ways to express emotions.
- Our Adult Sexual Assault Advocates offer education and support, such as accompaniment to police reporting or court hearings to help clients move through the healing process.
Renew is a recovery, education, and networking support group for survivors of sexual assault. There are 8 weekly sessions and survivors can join at any time rather than waiting for a new round to begin. Topics covered include thought distortions, coping strategies, the neuro-biology of trauma, healthy boundaries, and self-care. Prospective members should email Mikela Rhodes or call 405-948-1770 to complete the intake process and enroll in group prior to attending.
Teen Services (clients ages 13-17 years old)
Our Teen Advocate also provides non-offending caregivers with tools needed to cope and process sexual assault in a healthy manner and assist their teen in coping with the recent trauma.
Teen Counseling Services include:
- Our 10 week Teen Sexual Assault Support Group gives teens practical and emotional support regarding their sexual assault, as well as the knowledge that the assault was not their fault and their reactions to the assault are natural. Our Teen Sexual Assault Support Group meets on Tuesday evenings. Please email Mikela Rhodes for more information and start dates!
- Sexual Assault Counseling for Teen Victims and their Non-Offending Parent/Guardian - We offer sexual assault crisis counseling for teen victims of sexual assault and their non-offending parents/guardians who have recently experienced sexual assault.